Holy Trinity Parish began as a mission of St. Mary’s Parish during which time priests from St. Mary’s and St. Anne’s provided the spiritual needs of the people living in the communities of Forest Lawn, Hubalta, Albert Park and other farming communities with masses offered in a worshipper’s home. In the spring of 1926, Bishop John T. Kidd of Calgary and Fr. Rouleau of St. Anne’s Parish visited the Catholics in the area to discuss the possibility of building a church. In May 1926, a land was purchased on the northwest corner of 17th Avenue and 41 St.
An old church, built about 1902 9n Bankhead, near Banff, was moved by rail flatcar to Forest Lawn in 1927. The cost was $8000 and the church seated about 200. It was blessed by Bishop John T. Kidd on November 13, 1927.
On February 15, 1931, the Redemptorist Fathers of Our Lady of Perpetual Help assumed responsibility of Holy Trinity at the request of Bishop Kidd. Fr. E. Walsh offered the first mass with 34 attending and $3.00 in the collection plate.
The population of the parish began to grow at the end of the war. The need for a new church became very evident. On August 2, 1961, the present site of the new church was purchased for $33,000. Then in February, 1962, documents from Rome were received to erect Holy Trinity Parish. By June 27, 1962, final plans and specifications were submitted and approved. Commonwealth Construction was awarded the contract to build the church for $245,485. Fund raising immediately began. By September 23, 1962, pledges totalling $149,000 were gathered.
The sod turning ceremony was held on August 2, 1962. On December 23, 1962, the 90-foot spire and 6-foot bronze cross were erected. The cornerstone was blessed with Holy Water from Lourdes and was laid on February 11, 1963. A local artist built the 400-square foot, three-dimensional wall made of five types of natural wood behind the main altar. A six-foot wooden crucifix with a lime wood corpus dominates the inside of the church.
The solemn blessing and dedication of the new Holy Trinity Church was held on June 9, 1963, the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity, with the Most Rev. Francis Carroll, D.D., Bishop of Calgary officiating.